Plastic Teethers are Out!
We're sure, like any other parent, you are concerned with what your baby puts in his mouth and here's a little helpful guide as to the reasons why:
You'll definitely want to avoid any plastic teethers that contain BPA, PVC or phthlates:
- BPA or bisphenol-A is a plastics chemical that mimics estrogen and disrupts the body's hormonal systems. Many companies also simply replace BPA with BPS (bisphenol-S, which is just as toxic, if not more than BPA!) so just because a product is marked as BPA-free doesn't mean it's safe
- PVC or polyvinyl chloride is the third most common plastic in the world and also the most toxic!
- Phthalates are chemicals added to plastics to make them soft and supple. They don't bond to plastic though, so over time they leach out - a big no no!
Why Wood Teethers?
- Naturally anti-bacterial
- 100% non-toxic
- Natural wood avoids all risk of allergy and toxicity
- Wood is thicker and more durable than plastics
- Easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth and leave to air dry